Thursday, August 29, 2013

Waples Mill Elementary to Help

 I am adjusting to a quiet house after my youngest child has gone off to college by filling my thoughts with the children in Ghana. I have been busy painting, writing, varnishing and framing. I must have Ghana on my mind because I seem to meet Ghanaians where ever I go. I think I may be looking for them and listening for the accent. Most are surprised to hear me speak a little Twi, happy to hear about my project and have offered to help make the connections needed so I can ship donations inexpensively. That was the missing piece! I love bringing donations there myself but I am running through my husband's frequent flyer points and there is only so much one woman can bring in her suitcases.  I am so excited that Mrs. Scadron at my local elementary school, Waples Mill has offered to organize a donation drive. She is going to get some of her fellow teachers involved too. Last year Mrs. McNeils class blew me away with their donations. I love looking through pictures Billa posts on his facebook page of the children to see if I recognize any of the clothes I brought. See if you recognize your child's shoes or clothes at www.Facebook.com/FutureLeadersUCC.





Here is a photo of the kids holding up a thank you sign for Mrs. McNeils's class.



Because of the generous donations of my friends and neighbors here in the DC area we were able to start a computer center for the children.


They are learning to read and write at the same time they are learning to speak English and the Leapster games and learning programs help to make this so much easier and more fun.

This is the computer center. Often shipping containers are used as buildings in Ghana.


Please don't store or throw away your old lap tops or learning games. I know some kids in Africa who could really use them. Email me at AdrienneArtist@gmail.com to arrange a pick up.


No comments:

Post a Comment